Built around 1459 by Rao Jodha, and one of the largest forts in india, it is situated 410 feet (125 m) above the city and is enclosed by imposing thick walls. Inside its boundaries there are several palaces known for their intricate carvings and expansive courtyards.
In total this fort has 7 gates, however the entry for visitor is advised via Jai Pol where the ticket booking counter is located. An Elevator ticket is advised for elderly people.
The fort has musicians performing folk music at the entrance and houses museum, restaurants, exhibitions, and craft bazaars.
This fort is also the recipient of awards like 2005 UNESCO ASIA - PACIFIC HERITAGE AWARD FOR CULTURAL HERITAGE CONSERVATION among s various other awards.
Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park
Showcasing indigenous plants of desert, it was created in 2006 to try and restore the natural ecology of a large, rocky wasteland next to Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur which was overrun by baavlia (Prosopis juliflora), an invasive, thorny shrub introduced from central America almost a century ago.
This Park lies at the foot of Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur city, Rajasthan’s iconic and best known fort. The Park extends across 70 hectares – about 170 acres – of rocky land surrounding the fort. You can enter the Park from the Visitors Center 800 meters from the main Fort Gate. You can also walk across the Park starting closer to the Fort or from several other points of entry. Best time to visit early Morning or early evening.
Located near Mehrangarh Fort, It was built by Maharaja Sardar Singh of Jodhpur State in 1899 in memory of his father, Maharaja Jaswant Singh II, and serves as the cremation ground for the royal family of Marwar.
The mausoleum is built out of intricately carved sheets of marble. These sheets are extremely thin and polished so that they emit a warm glow when illuminated by the sun.
Umaid Bhawan Palace
The present owner of this palace is Maharaja Gaj Singh Ji II. Ground for the foundations of the building was broken on 18 November 1929 by Maharaja Umaid Singh and the construction work was completed in 1943. The Palace was built to provide employment to thousands of people during the time of famine.The Palace is divided into three functional parts – the residence of the royal family, a luxury Taj Palace Hotel, and a Museum focusing on the 20th-century history of the Jodhpur Royal Family.
Also known as the GHANTA GHAR, it was built by Maharaja Sardar Singh (1880-1911) from whom the market takes it name and is frequented by tourists on shopping spree. From this market, tourists can purchase Rajasthani textiles, clay figurines, miniature camels and elephants, marble inlay work and classic silver jewellery.
Toorji Ka Jhalra
It was built in Jodhpur the 1740s by a Queen, Maharaja Abhay Singh’s Consort, Even though Toorji Ka Jhalra is just a few hundred meters from the Clock Tower in Jodhpur, the step well still seems to be largely off the tourist map.
Best time to visit is early morning or early evening. Just 5 minutes walk from here is a second step well in Jodhpur, Mahila Bagh Ka Jhalra.
Mandore is an ancient town, and was the seat of the Pratiharas of Mandavyapura, who ruled the region in the 6th century CE. The town remained the Rathore capital until 1459 CE, when Rao Jodha shifted his capital to the newly founded city of Jodhpur.
Situated 9 kms north of the center of Jodhpur, Mandor was the capital of Marwar, prior to the founding of
Jodhpur. Its gardens, complete with rock terraces and home to playful grey Langurs, contain a variety of dark - red cenotaphs of Jodhpur's rulers.
Located 8 kms west of Jodhpur and is a artificial lake, built by Pratap Singh Ji in 1872. The lake is situated between igneous rock land formations. It receives its water from Hati Nehar which is further connected to the Indra Gandhi canal. The city of Jodhpur and all the surrounding towns and villages depend on Kaylana Lake as a source of drinking Water.